Note: Runbox Chat is suspended while we work to find a suitable replacement. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Runbox Chat is an instant messaging service accessible directly from your browser, allowing you to communicate in real-time with friends, colleagues, and associates on any other chat network.
There's no software to download or install to use Runbox Chat, and it's compatible with all major chat networks such as Google Talk, MSN, Yahoo! Messenger, AIM, ICQ, and IRC.
To start Runbox Chat, click Chat
in the main menu.
Log in with your Runbox username and password just as you do when logging in to Webmail.
If you host your domain with Runbox, log in with username%domain.com
(note the percent sign).
Contacts can be added by clicking the plus sign in the lower left-hand corner, which will open a new window. Enter the contact's username in the "Send subscription to" field and click "Send" to add the contact to your roster (and vice versa).
Likewise, your contacts can add you by entering your Runbox email address, i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org
, in their client or interface.
Runbox Chat is compatible with a wide range of chat networks such as Jabber, Google Talk, MSN, Yahoo! Messenger, AIM, ICQ, and IRC. Please proceed for setup instructions.
Adding contacts from Jabber and Google Talk
- Click the "+" sign in the bottom left corner in the main Runbox Chat window.
- Enter your friend's Gmail address on the format email@example.com in the "Send subscription to" field.
- Leave the "Service" field as is, and click "Send".
Adding contacts from other networks
You can register accounts from other services (MSN, Yahoo! Messenger, AIM, and ICQ), so that existing contacts from those services show up in your Runbox Chat roster.
To add contacts from other networks, you must first set up the network, or gateway, in Runbox Chat:
- Clicking Preferences in the top left-hand corner and select the tab "Gateways".
- Select the correct network in the drop-down menu.
- Enter your username on the other network (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) and the corresponding password.
- Click "Register".
Once you have added the network, your existing contacts will be displayed in your roster.
You can add more contacts on any configured network by clicking the plus (+) sign in the main chat window. Use the format username%domain.com
(note the percent sign) and select the corresponding service from the drop-down menu, before clicking "Send".
To join a group (multi-user) chat, click the group icon in the lower left-hand corner of the main window. In the new window that opens, enter the chat room and server you wish to connect to.
To join an IRC chat, use the format channel%servername.com
in the "Room" field, and enter "irc.runbox.com" in the "Server" field.
Using your own client
If you're running a chat client on your computer you can connect it to Runbox Chat and communicate with all your contacts through Runbox.
Use the following settings:
- Screen name: Your Runbox username
- Server: runbox.com
- Password: Your Runbox password
- Connect port: 5222 (default)
- Connect to server: jabber.runbox.com
- You might have trouble adding contacts from other networks to a hosted domain account.
- The beta chat has unfortunately been proven to not work well with Firefox 3.x.